The TSADP Essay Contest is open to all 11th and 12th grade Texas high school students. To participate, you must write an essay explaining why a moratorium on executions is necessary in Texas or why you think the death penalty should be abolished. Essays will be judged on both style and content. The winning essay must demonstrate an outstanding grasp of the death penalty issue in Texas. Deadline for entries is April 1st, 2008. Awards: Winner $200 runner-up $50 Depending on donations we receive for our scholarship fund, we may increase the value and numbers of awards given.
Frequently Asked Questions:
· Please examine the rules below closely before contacting TSADP with questions.
· The scholarship essay contest is designed for any Texas high school student in grades 11 or 12.. The April 1st deadline is designed to give students time to finish their essays.
· You do not have to be an American citizen, but you do need to be attending a Texas high school at the time of application.
· This scholarship is NOT open to college students.
· The eligibility of entrants will be confirmed by TSADP prior to the awarding of prizes.
· Entries will be judged by an essay committee from a coalition of anti-death penalty groups such as Texas Students Against the Death Penalty (TSADP), Texas Moratorium Network, Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, Campaign to End the Death Penalty and Texas Death Penalty Abolition Movement.
· Deadline for entries is April 1st, 2008 (Extended from March 1)
· Entries must contain a minimum of 500 and a maximum of 800 words.
· Essays may be submitted via e-mail (time stamped before midnight CST April 1, 2008) to scholarship[at]texasabolition.org. Or you can use the submission form below.
· The essay must be typed and include a works-cited page or bibliography. End notes are suggested but not required. We do not require a specific format.
· if you submit your essay by email, there is no application form. The essay with your contact information (Full Name, phone number and mailing address) serves as your application. Or you can use the form below to submit your contact information and your essay.
· Applicants must include the name of their high school with their entry and all contact information (phone, regular and email address) must be included on the essay title page.
· The winners will be announced at the Annual Anti-Death Penalty Alternative Spring Break in Austin. Checks from Texas Students Against the Death Penalty will be sent to the winners by May 2008, if they are not present during the spring break. www.springbreakalternative.org
· The essay can be submitted by using the form below.
If the above information does not answer your question please contact us:
phone: (210) 601-7231 e-mail: hooman[at]texasabolition.orgTSADP1600 Wickersham Lane #3084Austin, Texas 78741
<a href="http://springbreakalternative.wufoo.com/forms/essay-contest/" title="Essay Contest">Fill out my Wufoo form!</a> Powered by Wufoo